Sunday, March 9, 2008

Your Offering: Cultivated or Unkept?


This came to mind today at offering time at church. The pastor was speaking of bringing "your best" offering to God. I began to think about "my offering". We always hear how God wants our Best. We all know the story of Cain and Abel in Genesis 4. Abel brought the "best" of his flock. The fatted first born. Cain just brought whatever, nothing special, just whatever he had laying around. The scripture says, God favored Abel because his sacrifice was greater. He had nothing better to give.



As I thought on my offering, I took it beyond the monetary offering I give. That's only a small part of it........What about my gifts, and my time? I am a musician, and I play on the worship team at my church. I am also a Youth Leader in our youth program. These are areas where I feel I am talented. I believe it's more than a coincidence that in Matt 25, when Jesus taught about using what your given to advance the Kingdom, he used a form of money called "talents". In this parable three servants were given talents, not equal portions, but they were all given something. Two of them used what they were given...they excerised their "talents", and doubled it. The other buried his out of fear, and in turn, did not increase himself, or his master. I began to look at myself, and my "talents". How often do I practice? Am I trying to become a better musician(increase my talents), or am I good enough? How often do I stay in the word so that when a teenager comes up to me with a problem, I have a sound biblical answer that will help them with their issue? Or do I know more about the word than they do so that's good enough? If I practice my gifts, excercise them, "Cultivate" them....How much easier will it be to operate in them when called upon? If God deserves my best, then shouldn't I become the best me I can be? Those talents we have buried must be dug up. The talents that have weeds growing up around them....the weeds need to be pulled up allowing room for growth. We have been given these gifts only for them to be given back to God, bigger and better than they were when he gave them to us! I challenge everyone reading this to push forward in your areas of giftings. Never being satisfied. If next week I can be better than I am today, but I'm not, I am not giving my best!



Start a Movement!

- j -

2 comments:

Tara Sloan said...

Awesome Word bub!

Debbie said...

That is amazing that is the exact same topic at homegroup tonight you are quite in tune with the holy spirit THAT IS MY MAN!!! Love you!!!!!