Thursday, March 13, 2008

Frustration x 10 = AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!


If you have bothered to read my profile you know I'm in the process of writing a worship album. I have learned this is much harder than just writing "songs". At times I think it shouldn't be harder because it isn't hard for me to worship.....BUT.....When writing music that may be used as corporate worship, or by people worshipping in their cars or homes, it needs to make sense to more than just me and God. So just random spontaneous worship rarely works in those situations....although, I guess Jason Upton could disagree.

I am my own worst critic. In some ways that is great, as I rarely get offended when someone else critiques what I have written, because they're not half as critical as I have already been on myself. In other ways it has stifled my creative flow and lead me to doubt myself at every corner(or verse and chorus). Nothing will drive you more crazy than writing a verse and thinking it's great, then listening to it 10 minutes later and saying that just sucks! I so badly want to write these great songs that by people simply singing them, Heaven and earth are moved! When I say that, I'm not saying that out of pride. It's not about me. It is simply about wanting lives impacted, and wanting to be a strong force in impacting the world for the glory of God. Which we were all called to be!

I think this is just the process of God completely moving me out of the way. As I stay in the word and prayer, and continue to receive encouragement from my wife and friends, this will work itself out.

Start a Movement!

- j -

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Dont ever sell yourself short you are an amazing husband father and songwriter/musician and i am your biggest fan you move me love you babe :)

Tara Sloan said...

I can't wait to see/hear the fruit of your labor and what is inside of you! People are waiting for this project! There is something in you that God wants to spill out to reach those who are waiting...

Tara Sloan said...

Looking for some more blog love from you bro...

I tagged you today...

http://tarasloan.blogspot.com/2008/03/im-it-7-things-meme.html