Friday, May 9, 2008

"Alter" Church

Everywhere in the "church world" there is this debate of traditional vs new methodology. The debate usually comes down to who clings to real church values. What's crazy to me is how most of the traditional folk act as if you can't have biblical sound doctrine if you have a great media package with a rocking worship band. Many of these new "culturally relevant" churches are experiencing tremendous growth, and i think that makes the "Old School" a little jealous. They act as if there is no way that people can properly "churched" or taught in such large groups. Well all it requires is adequate staffing and a strong, dedicated team.

However, there are some of the "new" churches that have been so focused on salvation, that they forgot, or didn't even think to, lay down the ground work for discipleship of these new converts. This just feeds the fire of these old school "heretic hunters". However I feel we can be culturally relevant in context, and still remain sound in content. Being a culturally relevant church, is no different than having a culturally relevant translation of the Bible. As long as it's content is pure, the context can be "altered". Altered is the key word here. The actual definition of alter is "To make different without changing into something else". That's where it's at. Be a modern church, a culturally relevant church, a radical church...BUT BE A CHURCH!


I see many "new" churches that are drawing in salvations in great numbers but never "disciple". In the end these people are coming for entertainment, and who God is and what church is for is lost. Discipleship is a must! Salvation without discipleship is about like having a baby and never feeding the baby. You just assume that if the baby hangs around long enough it will learn how to feed itself. That may happen on few occasions, but, I believe it is imperative that we, the church, construct and instruct new converts (and old converts too). If we don't, it very well may be at the expense of their lives! If you look at the powerful men in the bible, they were always teaching and imparting practical principles that were imperative for the growth to those under their leadership. Paul to Timothy, Jesus to the Disciples, Elijah to Elisha and so on.


We must reach the lost...then we must disciple them so that the people who do hang around are not spiritual runts.

With that said...I myself, am ready to alter church. My hair is crazy, and so am I. I'm inked up, and I'm geeked up for God! I don't need a suit to lead others...I refuse to think that wearing a suit gives me more clout with God...I will not be a "white-washed tomb". But I will also preach purity and love. Holiness and wholeness. I will not be watered down, or dressed up! I will absolutely be everything that my God has called me to be....I will do my part to Alter Church!

Start a Movement!

- j -

4 comments:

Whoopsidaisy said...

Well said! Very true!

Sherri Walker-McCann said...

Oopps! I made a comment under my daughter's blog account-she forgot to sign out when she was finished!

Positioned for Greatness said...

You are right on it Johnnie. If we will alter the Church, we will alter a city! Great blog!

Tara Sloan said...

We're missing ya'll! You guys did SO awesome.. thanks for being open and willing vessels for God! You made an impact!